Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Drawing Marathon 2014


The Drawing Marathon January 2014 was my fourth marathon and it was the last one as well, at least in my MFA program. Even though the work went well, I felt sad through the entire two weeks. Finely I could speak English, I could enjoy the company of other artists, and, which is the most important thing, I was able to listen and learn from Graham Nickson.  But...the knowledge that all of this was for the last time added sentiments to my feelings.
 
 Usually at the end of the two weeks of intense work we create big size drawings. During each marathon I set up my own record of the scale of the drawing. This time it was 10 feet by 5 feet — quite impressive for me, but it wasn’t the biggest one in the group, even though it was close to it.  
(I’m just wondering how big I can go next time…)


During the last marathon I was thinking a lot about my first one. Unfortunately I destroyed almost all of my old drawings. But I happened to save the last work from September 2012.

Each marathon is special. This time Graham Nickson prepared a very intriguing lottery - from a wooden basket full of little white folded papers each student picked up one. Mine said the following: Draw with Goya in mind.
It was very challenging. First, I made the transcription on one of the famous images of war by this artist.

After this I had to combine my thinking about Goya, my own studio practice and the set up in the drawing room. I came out with a decent drawing, but Goya wasn’t really there, to put it mildly…



I got the most positive critique for my work for now. Quite happy but not totally satisfied with myself I’m starting the last semester.
There are a lot of things to learn… 


Maryna Bilak#www.marynabilak.com.ua

   




     

No comments:

Post a Comment